How to correctly do TEBD with ITensor?

Hello,

I am new to Julia and I am trying learn how to use ITensor to do time evolution block decimation (TEBD) for a certain system. I already have working code written in Python that I use to see if the results of my Julia code is correct, which it is not. To do TEBD with ITensor I used this example.

To give some context, time evolution in my model is given by applying two propagators, first an even one, then an odd one

p(t+1) = U_o U_e p(t)

Each propagator is made of gates that act on three sites U_e = U_{123} U_{345} U_{567} ... U_{n-1, n} that commute (and U_o = U_{1,2} U_{234} U_{456} ... U_{n-2,n-1,n}). The boundary is special, but simply consists of adding a two site gate. These are like e^{-itH} for quantum systems, but they require no Trotterization.

So I make a random initial MPS, evolve it for a long time, and the system should decay to a steady state.

using ITensors
let
  N = 4
  cutoff = 1E-8
  tsteps = 1000

# Maximum bond dimension
  M = 100 # No truncation

# Bulk gate
  U = [1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0;
       0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0;
       0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0;
       0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0;
       0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0;
       0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1;
       0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0;
       0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0]

# Boundary gates
  d = [1/4, 2/3, 2/5, 3/7];

U_L = [d[1]     0    d[1]    0;
          0     d[2]    0     d[2];
         1-d[1]   0   1-d[1]   0;
          0     1-d[2]  0    1-d[2]]

U_R = [ d[3]    d[3]    0      0;
         1-d[3]  1-d[3]   0      0;
          0       0      d[4]   d[4];
          0     0       1-d[4] 1-d[4]]

# Make an array of 'site' indices S=1/2 
  s = siteinds("S=1/2", N)

println("Making gates")
  gates = ITensor[]

# First generate even, then odd gates
  for i in 1:2
    for j in i:2:(N - 2)

s1 = s[j]
      s2 = s[j + 1]
      s3 = s[j + 2]

G = op(U, s1, s2, s3)
      push!(gates, G)

end

# Boundary driving
    if i == 1
      push!(gates, op(U_R, s[N-1], s[N])) # Right boundary
      push!(gates, op(U_L, s[1], s[2]))   # Left Boundary
    end
  end

# Initialize psi to be a random MPS
  println("Making random MPS with bond dimension " * string(M))
  p = randomMPS(s, linkdims=M);

println("Doing time evolution.")
  # Apply gates
  for t in 0:1:tsteps
    p = apply(gates, p; cutoff)
  end

println("Done.")

return
end

After running this code I contract all my bond indices to get a vector of size 2^N and check if it’s the same vector I get from my Python code, and it isn’t. The code looks correct to me, but I’m since this is my first time using ITensor I cannot figure out what the error would be.

Thank you

Hi, glad you are trying out ITensor. Your code looks possibly correct, so it’s hard to say why you aren’t getting the result you expect. It could be a bug like perhaps it’s not doing the steps that you think? I would suggest altering the code to print out more information to confirm (e.g. print things like your t variable parameterizing your for loop at the end - things like that).

The other things I would suggest are to:

1. print out some of the gates (ITensors) explicitly to see whether they are being defined properly and as you think and

2. trying both codes for a much smaller number of layers (much smaller tsteps) and compare the results after one step, two steps, etc.

You may be able to think of some other debugging strategies too.